Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Weird, wacky and fascinating...the anhinga!

I was looking through our Florida pictures the other day and came upon several of a bird I first saw in Costa Rica. I was very excited to tell Dave what I knew as we saw gobs of them during our recent trip to the Everglades. Did I say recent!!??? I mean, during our Florida trip to the Everglades back in March!! Uggh!

Here are some pictures if this strangely beautiful bird often called Snake Bird or Water Turkey :

Anhingas are large birds about 35" in length with a 45" wingspan.



We saw several anhingas fishing and watched in amazement as they beat the fish they caught against rocks. Anhingas spear the fish with their beaks like an arrow and are often seen beating or rubbing their beaks against rocks in order to pry the fish off.


You can easily see here why anhingas are also called Snake Bird. Creepy little bugger! Anhingas do not have water proof feathers like ducks (no oil glands). Therefore, they are less buoyant and can easily dive for their prey. They are also known to stay under water for significant periods of time.

Unfortunately I do not have a picture of this, but anhingas will often be seen for sitting with their wings spread for long periods of time in order to dry them.










































































No comments:

Post a Comment